WHAT THE EXPERTS SAY
"Irwin Mitchell's impressive team consistently delivers the highest standards of client care."
Legal 500 (2013)
Eschera coli (E. Coli)
The strain E. coli 0157 is a mutant bacteria which is particularly powerful and can be fatal. This strain is found in the intestine of cattle, sheep and goats but not naturally in humans.
There have been a number of outbreaks and deaths over the past few years in the UK. As with other many infections, it is predominantly the elderly, infirm and young children are at greatest risk.
- Abdominal cramps
- Bloody stools
- Risk of haemolytic uraemic syndrome (blood infection attacking the kidney)
- Risk of kidney failure
- Risk of thrombylitic thrombocytopaenic purpura (clotting disorder)
- Risk of encephailitis-like disease with psychosis, comas or seizures
- Correct practice for meat retrieval and storage (abattoir)
- Effective food handling
- Education for farmers & butchers
- Separate storage of raw and cooked meats
- Correct meat preparation and cooking (cook food through out, wash fruit and veg
- Avoid antibiotics
- Avoid anti-diarrhoea medications
- May need intensive care
- May need kidney dialysis
Call us free on
0800 056 0066
"I just wanted to send you a short note to thank you very much indeed to our solicitor for managing to settle this for me – it’s really very much appreciated. You did so in a very professional, helpful and efficient manner."