"The team has so many contacts with foreign insurers and so many people with foreign languages that it is miles ahead of others."

Chambers and Partners (2014)

Accident Claim Abroad

Every year, many British tourists sustain an injury whilst abroad for which they could make be entitled to make an  accident compensation claim.

However, many people are concerned that they may have to make their accident claim abroad, in the country where the accident took place. They believe that this could cause unnecessary inconvenience and result in a lower award of compensation. That is where Holiday Claims, a service provided by Irwin Mitchell come in.

We are a  leading UK claims specialist that can help you with your accident claim abroad. Our specialist solicitors are experts in foreign accident and injury laws, meaning that they can provide you with the highest quality of advice and information.

In many cases, you may be able to bring your claim in the UK. Our experts can advise you on the best choices for your particular situation.

My accident occurred in a foreign country – do I have to make my accident claim abroad?

Many people think that they have to make their accident claim abroad, in the country in which the accident occurred.

However, recent legislation means that many people can make their holiday accident compensation claim in the UK.  Many people are now able to choose where to make their claim to maximise their potential compensation award.

For instance, if you have been involved in an accident that was not your fault whilst on a package holiday, legislation relating to the sale of package holidays allows you to make your accident claim from within the UK, against the tour operator.

In cases where you are making a claim against an airline, such as for a trip or fall whilst onboard, embarking or disembarking an aircraft, you may be able to choose where to make your claim under the Montreal Convention. This allows you to claim in the country in which the carrier is based or where you were flying to.

How do I know whether it is better to make my accident claim abroad or in the UK?

Legal regulations and compensation levels vary from country to country, which makes it important to ensure that you get the best possible advice on making an accident claim abroad.

We have a team of specialist solicitors who have expert knowledge of claims systems around the world, allowing them to clearly explain the benefits and drawbacks to help you decide whether to make you accident claim abroad.

How do I know if I can make an accident claim abroad?

We handle accident and injury claims on a no win, no fee basis and can advise you on various types of injury claim, including:

  • Road traffic accidents, either as a driver, passenger or pedestrian.
  • Sporting accidents, including skiing, beach sports and water sports accidents.
  • Slips, trips or falls in a public place including hotels, bars, restaurants, airports and cruise ships.
  • Accidents on board or whilst embarking or disembarking an aircraft.
For a free initial consultation to see if you can make a no win, no fee accident claim abroad, contact us today. There may be a time limit on when you can make your claim, so get in touch with us immediately for a free consultation.

Make an enquiry...

Call us free on

0800 056 0066

"We were very happy with the outcome of our case, especially as we were initially offered nothing from the Tour Operator. Irwin Mitchell were very professional throughout and we are very happy with the outcome."

Chris and Michael, Worksop