WHAT THE EXPERTS SAY

"Irwin Mitchell's impressive team consistently delivers the highest standards of client care."

Legal 500 (2013)

Almond Beach Village, Speightstown, Barbados

Irwin Mitchell has have been instructed by holidaymakers staying at the Almond Beach Village, in Barbados in November 2011 who have returned from their holidays with Salmonella food poisoning.

Irwin Mitchell has have been instructed by holidaymakers staying at the Almond Beach Village, in Barbados in November 2011 who have returned from their holidays with Salmonella food poisoning.

Holidaymakers have told us that they fell ill with gastric symptoms including diarrhoea and severe stomach cramps as well as nausea, loss of appetite and continuing lethargy. It is alarming to learn that there are such problems at the hotel, with recent reports suggesting that holidaymakers have contracted serious bacterial infections such as Salmonella as a result of a breakdown in food hygiene procedures. Such infections can leave permanent symptoms including an alteration of bowel habit, stomach pains and irritable bowel syndrome.

The hotel was described as not being of its labelled 4* rating, as the food was undercooked and not served at the correct temperature. Food was also left open to the elements for long periods of time. Food was not being replaced properly with guests of the hotel observing new food being added on top of existing food.

And the complaints just don’t stop there. The hotel rooms were described as being in poor order with dirty walls, masses of dust around the lights, broken appliances and a terrible musty smell on the bedding and pillows.  The air-conditioning was broken for a number of days and would leak on occasion.

The hotel restaurant also left a lot to be desired with dirty floors, scores of flies, dirty windows and surfaces. Pest control was a real problem at the hotel with stray cats being observed in the restaurant and insects seen in or on food.

The public areas of the hotel were described as being littered, very dirty and unkempt with the public pathways often being flooded. The sun beds were said to be mouldy and black with sweat and had bird excrement all over them. The public toilets did not have running hot water and had a very strong smell of urine. Toilet dispensers were hanging off the wall for a number of days.

The swimming pool water was said to be quite dirty with cloudy water and filled with leaves floating on top of the water; one swimming pool was even closed to guests at the hotel.  The lights in the pool were dangerously left hanging by their own wires in the pool. Holidaymakers have informed us that this took a number of days to fix.

If you also stayed at this hotel and suffered gastric illness, Irwin Mitchell would like to hear from you as you may be able to claim compensation for your ruined holiday, and also, the pain and suffering caused by the illness that you have suffered. 

For more advice on making a holiday illness claim, contact us on 0800 056 0066 or complete our enquiry form and we will call you back.

« Back

Make an enquiry...

Call us free on

0800 056 0066

"I just wanted to send you a short note to thank you very much indeed to our solicitor for managing to settle this for me – it’s really very much appreciated. You did so in a very professional, helpful and efficient manner."

Stephen, London 

-