WHAT THE EXPERTS SAY

"Irwin Mitchell's impressive team consistently delivers the highest standards of client care."

Legal 500 (2013)

25% Burns Following Visit To Restaurant

Irwin Mitchell are currently acting for a client who suffered 25% burns following a visit to a local restaurant whilst on holiday in Madeira.

Our client decided to have a meal with her husband in a local restaurant rather than in their hotel. During the meal, our client went to use the ladies toilets.  When she entered the toilets, she noticed some lit candles on the floor.  As she walked past the candles, her skirt was ignited and burst into flames.  The fire was eventually put out with a fire extinguisher.

Our client was taken to hospital, and later flown back to the UK by air ambulance.  She suffered extensive burns covering 25% of her body, and has undergone two skin graft operations.  She has been left with permanent scarring.

As our client and her husband were not dining in their hotel's restaurant, our client is unable to claim compensation from her UK Tour Operator.  Health and safety standards vary from country to country, and whether the occupier of a property is negligent depends on the laws of that country.  Irwin Mitchell have therefore instructed a Portuguese lawyer to advise on the local laws, and how much compensation our client may be entitled to.  The case continues.

« Back

Make an enquiry...

Call us free on

0800 056 0066

"I just wanted to send you a short note to thank you very much indeed to our solicitor for managing to settle this for me – it’s really very much appreciated. You did so in a very professional, helpful and efficient manner."

Stephen, London 

-