WHAT THE EXPERTS SAY
"The team at Irwin Mitchell has a ‘pre-eminent reputation’ for travel personal injury work"
Legal 500 (2016)
Marina Beach Hotel
Irwin Mitchell were successful in recovering compensation for over 160 people who stayed at the Marena Beach Hotel in the Dominican Republic after a breakdown in food hygiene procedures at the hotel resulted in large numbers of the holidaymakers contracting gastric illness.
Many holidaymakers became severely ill with some having confirmed Salmonella which many reported was as a result of the health and hygiene standards at the hotel. The holidaymakers were not impressed with the quality of the food which they were served, for example, food was undercooked and not of the correct temperature. They also believed food that was left over from the previous evening was served again as part of their breakfast the following morning and also noticed food was frequently recycled.
Holidaymakers also complained about the general hygiene standards in and around the hotel, for example, the swimming pool was dirty and not maintained to the correct standard. Toilets at the hotel were disgusting and overflowed with sewage which meant most of the holidaymakers’ rooms smelled of sewage.
All of the holidaymakers travelled with Airtours, who admitted that they were liable for the claims. Settlement negotiations resulted in Irwin Mitchell recovering over £200,000 in compensation for their clients. Around half of the 160 guests suffered from their illnesses for more than a month and a substantial number were ill for over 6 months. The highest award for the most seriously ill of our clients was over £7,000.
Make an enquiry...
Call us free on
0800 056 0066
"We were very happy with the outcome of our case, especially as we were initially offered nothing from the Tour Operator. Irwin Mitchell were very professional throughout and we are very happy with the outcome."
Chris and Michael, Worksop