WHAT THE EXPERTS SAY

"The team at Irwin Mitchell has a ‘pre-eminent reputation’ for travel personal injury work"

Legal 500 (2016)

Salmonella Poisoning at Kipriotis Village Hotel

Paul King a project manager from Shrewsbury was on an all inclusive holiday at the Kipriotis Village Hotel, on the island of Kos when he became ill with what was later confirmed as Salmonella poisoning.

The holiday had been booked through UK Tour Operator Hays Travel.

During the second week of their all-inclusive holiday Mr King fell seriously ill suffering from severe diarrhoea and abdominal pain.

On return from the holiday Mr King’s symptoms continued and he sought assistance from his GP who advised that he was suffering from Salmonella. Mr King also developed pain and swelling in his right buttock as a result of an abscess which was found to have been caused by his Salmonella infection.

He had hospital treatment to drain the abscess but unfortunately further surgery was required when the abscess reoccurred.

Mr King was unable to return to work as in his previous role as a linesman working for an electricity company because he was no longer able to wear the required safety harness and instead he has taken up a job as a project manager.

Mr King was successful in his claim against Hays Travel and G Kipriotis and Sons SA.  The Defendants denied liability throughout the case. Irwin Mitchell, on behalf of Mr King brought a claim in the Birmingham County Court against the Defendants and a Trial took place to hear the parties evidence.

The Court found in favour of Mr King and determined that the Defendants had breached their duty of care to Mr King by exposing him to Salmonella, which the Court concluded had been contracted through improperly cooked eggs served to guests at the Kipriotis Village. He was awarded substantial damages for his claim in a 5 figure sum.

« Back

Make an enquiry...

Call us free on

0800 056 0066

"I just wanted to send you a short note to thank you very much indeed to our solicitor for managing to settle this for me – it’s really very much appreciated. You did so in a very professional, helpful and efficient manner."

Stephen, London 

-